For this Listener Series episode of the podcast, I chat with Scott McEachern who reached out to me to be on the show after being a long-time listener.
Now, Scott actually works in the financial space, but personal finance is really his passion and it’s what led him to do what he does for a living. A big reason is because his dad worked as a financial planner, so he learned at a young age how to be smart with his money.
And ever since then, he’s put what he’s learned into practice to live a meaningful life that focuses on being intentional with his money.
He shares a number of things him and his wife do to be able to pay off their debt (they have student loans) and work towards affording their financial goals. These things include:
- Adding small extra payments to his student loans to pay them off quicker
- Buying used cars instead of brand new
- Renting a cheaper/smaller place instead of trying to keep up with the Jones’
- Delaying starting a family until they are debt free
- And most importantly, tracking their spending and income regularly so there are no surprises